Saturday, August 11, 2012

Take A Risk? Everyday?

As I was busy scrubbing the bathroom today (my least favorite chore, I might add), Lil' John came in and asked if he could to the neighbors house to see if Nick could play.  Of course, I said, "Yes, go ahead". He bounced out of the door, off to take his big risk of the day. (You see, my son, Lil' John has autism.  So, social interactions are difficult for him.) 

I continued cleaning but my mind was SPINNING!!!!  I was SO nervous for him.  Thoughts like, "Should I go with him?  Should I stop him?  What if Nick is mean to him?  What if Nick says no?  What will that do to my Lil' John?"
As I waited for the outcome, I started to realize that there was no fear in this for Lil' John.  He just wanted to play.  He was willing to take the risk, no matter what the outcome. 

I wonder if I am as BRAVE as my little boy....

There are SO many times that I have avoided risks, just because I was afraid of the outcome.  I was too consumed by my own fear.

Recently, I had the opportunity to spend some time with some AMAZING, LOVING people who are helping me to realize that by taking risks every single day and not living my life in fear, I can become the person that I want to be.

And I want to be BRAVE, STRONG, and FEARLESS!!

My Lil' John taught me to be BRAVE today.  What happened with Lil John's risk?  He came back and said that Nick wasn't home but that he'd try again another time.  He wasn't upset.  He NEVER gives up. 

Way to go, Lil' Buddy.  I want to be just like you. :-)

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment