Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Running Away?

My seven year old son, Jeff, decided the other day that he was going to run away from home.  You see, things weren't going the way he thought they should go.  He wasn't getting his way and people weren't responding the way that he wanted.  So, he came to me, and asked me to get him a suitcase.  So, I went and got him a backpack and I said that he could take anything he could carry.  He started putting things in the bag (Legos, shorts, stuffed animals, juice bags....you know....all the essentials!).  He gave me a kiss, told me that he loved me, and then walked down the street (while I was watching him the whole time).  After only a short time, he came running back and he threw his arms around me and gave me the biggest hug ever.    

 Do you ever feel like running away?  Today was a challenging day on many aspects...work, home, and relationships.  And honestly, it has left me feeling very emotionally and physically exhausted.  Days like this really make me want to run away from it all.

But, I didn't.  And that is a BIG change from the "old" me.

What did I do?  I pushed the limits and stepped outside of my comfort zone.  I faced the issues head on, deciding to play a different role and reached out for support. By facing issues head on, I am not allowing bitterness and resentment build up inside of me, which in turn would sabotage the kind of relationships I want to have with those around me.

And you know what?  I feel powerful and strong. 

And I like that feeling. 

So, I think it's time to put away my running shoes.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment