Sunday, February 10, 2013

See Ya Later

I had the honor of spending last weekend with some of my favorite people in the whole world....my family.  Saturday and Sunday were PACKED full of family fun and just being together...something that doesn't happen very often for me, since I live SO far away from everyone!  

Last weekend, I had to say "see ya later" to my little brother.  See, he and his wife are moving to North Africa, tomorrow, to serve the people there.  I am completely proud and humbled by my brother and his lovely wife.  Their hearts are fully ready to jump in, even though they don't know what the future holds.  God has asked them to leave their comfort zones...leave everything that they know....and trust FULLY in Him. All they know is that God is already there and He has ordained these things to happen for HIS glory.  

How do I feel about all of this?  Honestly, while I am extremely proud of them, I am SO SAD.  I am sad about the thought of not seeing my baby brother for two years.  Plus, I think there is a small part of me that is fearful that something will happen to them, as the country they are going into is very volatile right now. 

But I choose to not let that fear control me!  The fact is that no one is ever guaranteed our next breath.  Every moment in our lives is ordained by God.  

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Psalms 139: 13-16



Fighting the sadness is just going to make it worse.  A good friend suggested that I add the phrase, "I accept ____" to whatever you are feeling;  it helps.  "I accept that I feel sad/afraid/lonely."  What is to be avoided is chiding yourself with such thoughts as "I should be ____" (for example "I should be over this by now, or fine, or whatever").  Emotions are not wrong;  they just are.  Is it easy?  No, but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

So, I'll miss my baby brother and Monica, but I know that I'll see them again soon!  So, instead of saying goodbye, I say, "see you later"!  


Love,
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment