Saturday, January 26, 2013

Words & Actions

Today, I really have been thinking about the power of my words and actions.  My words and actions have the power to tear down or build up those around me.  Especially those who are closest to me.  The ones that see me every day.  My co-workers.  My customers.  My friends.  My kids. My husband.  It's easy to build someone up with positive words and actions, when the other person is loving and caring and receptive.  

But what about when the other person behavior is less than desirable.  I know that I really struggle with keeping my words and actions in check during these times. But I'm learning that it's in those times when it is MOST important to really be aware and intentional about EVERYTHING I say or do. Because especially in those times, the other person needs to be built up and not teared down by what I say or do.

I've borrowed a list of attributes that can tear down or build up a relationship. (www.whitestoneresources.com)

Tearing Down:
Punishing
Controlling
Judging
Criticizing
Threatening
Blaming
Nagging
Keeping score 

Building Up:
Serving one another
Encouraging daily
Accepting
Loving
Kindness
Patience
Forgiving
Honoring

Every day, I strive to build up those around me. I don't always get it right.  Sometimes, I mess up.  But I apologize and I keep striving to do better. 

"Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres."
 1 Corinthians 13:7

Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment